Monday, August 2, 2010

The grocery store...duh duh dunnn

What's the worst thing to do to myself? Go to Publix (or Fresh Market, or Whole Foods) and be completely hungry. I get home with $100 worth of crap that I usually have to turn around and go to the store the next day to get real food. I've been reading a lot of different books and articles, and one tip I found interesting and one I've been following is when you shop, stick to the outside perimeter of the store. Produce, deli, meat, seafood, and dairy are the places where we end up getting 90% of our groceries. We're trying to stay away from any processed foods (except for the occasional bowl of Kashi). The only time we really go to those inner aisles of the store is for spices or olive oil or stuff like that.

We were talking the other day and thinking back at all the things we used to eat that we thought we healthy. All those 100 calorie packs of food, baked chips (or worse, the ones with olestra), fat free cookies, cereals, low-fat fruit yogurt, etc. The problem with me at least, is if I'm eating the supposed "healthy" low-fat ice cream, I'm likely to eat twice as much as I would if it was the real deal because at least then I wouldn't be kidding myself with the fact it wasn't good for me. I'm by no means a health expert, but these are a few things I try to help.

I know I've mentioned before about trying to eat organic, and we're still trying to too, but it is expensive! My friend Emily had a good tip for fruits and veggies, only buy organic for the fruits and veggies that you eat the skin. If you peel it, it's not as important. Thanks Em! We try to buy grass fed beef whenever possible (around here, we've only been able to find it at Whole Foods), it has a different taste, but I prefer it. Organic, free-range chicken is a little more difficult to find, but I buy it whenever I find it. If I win the lottery (if only...) I would totally do 100% of my shopping at Whole Foods or places like that. My mother-in-law works there now and gets an awesome discount, might have to see if we can take advantage of that when she's here this week! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment