Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dinner, part II...bacon, potatoes, & asparagus







On to the recipe...although I have to admit, I'm not the best at keeping track of precise measurements (Ina Garten would be disappointed).

Bacon- place 8 slices of organic applewood smoked bacon on an unlined, ungreased baking sheet in a 400 degree pre-heated oven for about 10-15 minutes (or in my timeline, enough to relax..drink a sparking lemonade with Newman's Own lemonade and Whole Foods Italian sparkling mineral water...and read a little bit of the latest Food & Wine). Once it's cooked through, drain on some paper towels and break into small pieces/chunks. The leftover bacon will be used in salads for lunches this week (anything to avoid buying school lunch...it's already third quarter, and we've avoided that fate thus far).

Asparagus- love it or hate...and I love it, that is once I discovered roasting or grilling it. Steamed asparagus to me is disgusting and like eating brocoli, just one of those things you did when you were a kid. Now I actually enjoy eating asparagus (too bad the side effect of eating this veg still occurs...you know you know what I'm talking about...). Anyways, cut the bottom part of the stalks off to avoid the wood-y part of the vegetable. Toss with some olive oil, fresh thyme, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a small Pyrex baking dish. Cook for about 15-20 minutes in the same 400 degree oven. Grilling asparagus is another delicious way to cook asparagus (I was just too lazy to get the grill going for one thing today; lazy Sunday..."it's the chronic-wha-cles of Narnia"). If there's extra, it's good cold or re-heated.

Mashed potatoes- I'm pretty sure everyone knows how to make mashed potatoes. Once they're done cooking...I use a hand masher and mix in 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 1/4 cup of half-and-half, and salt/pepper to taste (I never said this was going to be a healthy dinner!).

No comments:

Post a Comment